Celebrating 90+ Years of Quality Service

Back in 1921, Art Rowley began what would become the catalyst which sparked a long-running, local family business—simply vulcanizing inner tubes in his basement. This modest practice slowly expanded with the help of his brothers, leading to the opening of their first gasoline station: Rowley Brothers.

The early functioning of the business was essentially retailing tires, oil, and gasoline, as well as being a wholesale distributor. As popularity spiked over the following 90 years, so did the business—several new locations were added and an automobile service business was incorporated under the Rowley name.

Rowleys Tires & Automotive Services, Inc. with locations in Bay City and Lapeer. The company still remains family-owned after almost a century of offering local automotive services.

How it all Began Back in 1921, Art Rowley began what would become the catalyst which sparked a long-running, local family business—simply vulcanizing inner tubes in his basement

This modest practice slowly expanded with the help of his brothers, leading to the opening of their first gasoline station: Rowley Brothers.
1920"s - 30"s Art Rowley started in business by vulcanizing inner tubes in the basement of his home. Two of Art’s brothers, Dan and Sam, began working with him during this time.

On July 4th 1923, they opened the first “Rowley Brothers” gasoline station. A wood storage facility was constructed in 1927 and more gasoline stations were opened in 1928 and 1935.
1940"s - 50"s Art Rowley bought out his brother Sam in 1942, and a new warehouse was constructed in 1947.

Art’s two sons both became active in the business: Paul in 1949 and Jim in 1957.
1960"s The gasoline operations, in addition to fuel oil routes, were all sold off in the 60s. In 1965, an additional storage warehouse was purchased. A new warehouse was built in 1967 to replace the other storage facilities.

Rowley Brothers later expanded this new building—twice. The first of the expansions came a year after its construction; in 1968 additional storage and three service bays were added, marking the re-entry for the company into the automobile service industry. In 1972, the building was again expanded to allow four more service bays.
1970"s - 80"s Paul Rowley’s two sons, Keith and Mike, each began working full-time with the business in 1975 and 1983, respectively.

In 1987, a new warehouse and general office were built, the wholesale operations division of the company moved, and the automobile service business became part of another company owned by the Rowley family. This corporation was renamed “Rowleys Tires & Automotive Services, Inc.”
1990"s In July of 1993, Loyal Bismack joined Rowley’s Tires & Automotive Services, Inc. Jim Rowley retired in February of 1995.

Following Jim’s retirement, Loyal Bismack became a partner with Paul Rowley family. In 1996, three additional service bays were added. Rowleys Tires & Automotive Services, Inc. bought a similar family business in Lapeer, Michigan in August of 1997. Back in Bay City, a new (4th) service area was completed in 1999.